PLAINSBORO, N.J., Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Novo Nordisk, a world leader in diabetes care, today announced the launch of the insulin delivery device NovoPen Echo® in the United States. This is the first and only pen device available in the U.S. with half-unit dosing and a memory function that records the dose and time passed since the last injection.
"We are excited to make NovoPen Echo® available in the United States for patients and believe this pen can help patients fine tune their dosing while offering added reassurance they are managing their diabetes appropriately," said George McAvoy, vice president, NovoLog® brand team at Novo Nordisk.
Half-unit dose increments allow for finer adjustments, which can be particularly important for children. In addition, 12 fun removable skins are available for a customized look, including kid-friendly designs.
"Children with type 1 diabetes have unique needs in regards to diabetes management," said Children with Diabetes founder Jeff Hitchcock. "It is so important that new, innovative tools continue to be developed so that children and caregivers have options. NovoPen Echo®, which features half-unit dosing from the start and memory function, is a welcome addition to the tools children with diabetes and their caregivers have available, especially when kids are away from home."
This pen is the latest insulin delivery system offered from Novo Nordisk, and is available to patients for use with NovoLog® PenFill® cartridges.
Novo Nordisk has already launched NovoPen Echo® in Europe, Canada, and Israel. For more information on Novo Nordisk products, please visit www.novonordisk-us.com.
Please see Important Safety Information below.
Indications and Usage
What is NovoLog® (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection)?
- NovoLog® is a man-made insulin used to control high blood sugar in adults and children with diabetes mellitus.
Important Safety Information
Who should not use NovoLog®?
- Do not use NovoLog® if your blood sugar is too low (hypoglycemia) or you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
What should I tell my health care provider before taking NovoLog®?
- About all of your medical conditions, including liver, kidney, or heart problems.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or plan to do either.
- About all prescription and nonprescription medicines you take, including supplements, as your dose may need to change.
How should I take NovoLog®?
- Eat a meal within 5 to 10 minutes after using NovoLog®, a fast-acting insulin, to avoid low blood sugar. Do not inject NovoLog® if you do not plan to eat right after your injection or bolus pump infusion.
- Do not mix NovoLog® with any other insulin when used in a pump or with any insulin other than NPH when used with injections by syringe.
- Do not change your dose or type of insulin unless you are told to by your health care provider.
- Do not share needles, insulin pens, or syringes.
- Check your blood sugar levels as directed by your health care provider.
What should I consider while using NovoLog®?
- Alcohol, including beer and wine, may affect your blood sugar.
- Be careful when driving a car or operating machinery. You may have difficulty concentrating or reacting if you have low blood sugar. Talk to your health care provider if you often have low blood sugar or no warning signs of low blood sugar.
What are the possible side effects of NovoLog® (insulin aspart [rDNA origin] injection)?
- Low blood sugar, including when too much is taken. Some symptoms include sweating, shakiness, confusion, and headache. Severe low blood sugar can cause unconsciousness, seizures, and death.
- Serious allergic reactions may occur. Get medical help right away, if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, a fast heartbeat, or sweating.
- Other side effects include injection site reactions (like redness, swelling, and itching), skin thickening or pits at the injection site, swelling of your hands and feet, if taken with thiazolidinediones (TZDs) possible heart failure, vision changes, low potassium in your blood, and weight gain.
Please visit novolog.com for Prescribing Information.
About Novo Nordisk
Headquartered in Denmark, Novo Nordisk is a global health care company with 90 years of innovation and leadership in diabetes care. The company also has leading positions within hemophilia care, growth hormone therapy and hormone replacement therapy. For more information, visit novonordisk-us.com or follow our news in the US on Twitter: @NovoNordiskUS.
In the United States, 25.8 million people have diabetes,1 a condition in which the body does not produce enough or properly use insulin, the hormone needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy needed for daily life.
NovoPen Echo®, NovoLog®, and PenFill® are registered trademarks of Novo Nordisk A/S.
© 2014 Novo Nordisk All rights reserved. 1213-00019488-1 January 2014
1 2011 National Diabetes Fact Sheet. Centers for Disease Control. http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf. Accessed December 11, 2013.
SOURCE Novo Nordisk
Visit the download center to download Novo Nordisk video and more
Sign up to receive our new alerts